Oromoni’s Inquest: Coroner Expresses Concern Over Delay

Proceedings at the coroner court sitting in Ikeja, seeking to unravel the circumstances leading to the death of a student of Dowen College, Sylvester Oromoni failed to hold today.

This followed the absence of the deceased’s father, Mr. Sylvester Oromoni Snr. and his sister who were slated to testify.

Counsel to the Oromoni’s, Mr. Andrew Efole informed the court that the witnesses were absent because of ill health.
He said, “The girl who ought to testify is sick; the father who ought to be here is attending to the child who is receiving treatment.”

When the coroner, Magistrate Mikhail Kadiri asked for the whereabouts of the deceased’s mother, the lawyer said, “The mother is not strong now for the things she is going through.”

Earlier, counsel to Dowen College, Anthony Okpoko expressed dissatisfaction at the interview granted by Sylvester Oromoni Snr published in a national daily today, in contrast to the restraining order by the court to all parties from making comments to the press.

Mr Okpoko also said he was unhappy that another relative of the deceased, Perri Oromoni has been tweeting in respect of the matter.
He pointedly told the court, “This is a breach.”

Magistrate Kadiri in response reiterated his order and said he might have to issue a summons on the said relative.
According to him, “Why has he single-handedly decided to be the Coroner?” Magistrate Kadiri asked.

Meanwhile, counsel to the deceased family, Mr. Efole apologised and told the court saying that the witnesses would appear.

The Lagos State Counsel, A.A George, urged the court to apply the Coroner System Law: Section 48(10) which states “Any person whose act or conduct contravenes any of the provisions of this law where no penalty is specified, commits an offence and is liable on conviction to (two) 2 years’ imprisonment.

The Coroner having heard submissions of the counsel in respect of witnesses non-appearance on two consecutive times; last Friday and Monday, said it appeared that the party who requested for the inquest was stalling the process.
The hearing continues tomorrow.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button