All is still not well between the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) and the Federal Government as the doctors refused to sign a new Memorandum of Understanding, MoU brokered by the Nigeria Medical Association to end the three-week-old strike.
This was disclosed by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige in Abuja after a six hours closed-door meeting.
According to the Minister, all other unions in the negotiation, including the Nigeria Medical Association and the Medical and Dental Consultants of Nigeria, signed the new agreement.
The NARD President, Uyilawa Okhuaihesuyi, says, he declined assent owing to an undisclosed clause, adding that, the leadership had to consult with members of the association before he appends his signature.
The minister however clarified that the meeting did not discuss the issues of ‘no work, no pay,’ but said all parties at the meeting agreed to an out-of-court settlement.
Resident doctors had embarked on a strike on August 2, citing unpaid benefits and other issues while the Federal Government took them (doctors) to court last week, as it asked the National Industrial Court to mandate the doctors to return to work.